Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Blackwood Crossing by M.K. McClintock

Rating: ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆
Obtained from: Historical Fiction Virtual Book Tours
Read: May 14, 2015

Torn between loyalty to her family and refusal to marry a laird she despises, Rhona Davidson accepts a dangerous proposal from a man she knows only as Blackwood. Leaving behind a life of leisure, Charles Blackwood bravely serves his country with honor and the skill of a trained British agent. When his newest case returns him to the wild Highlands of Scotland, he is faced with a choice between killing a man and saving the only woman he has ever loved. Charles and Rhona join their lives, only to discover that their choices will result in bloodshed, unless they can uncover a truth long buried, deep in the Highland soil.

═══════════════════════════ ❧  ═══════════════════════════

Confession time folks. I liked M.K. McClintock's Blackwood Crossing more than its predecessor. Charles and Rhona appealed to me in ways Alaina and Tristan didn't and I felt the story itself a tad more engaging. 

Charles and Rhona's shared history complicates their association, but it also manufactures a really fun dynamic for McClintock's readers. Again, I wasn't on the edge of my seat, but I found the chemistry between the leading characters and the intricacies of their relationship quite entertaining. 

Word to the wise, the book does reference Alaina Claiborne and while I don't think it entirely necessary to tackle the books in order, I'd highly recommend it. 

═══════════════════════════ ❧  ═══════════════════════════
She pulled against the force of his grip, but her strength did not match his. "I have means enough to make my own place and to live comfortable. I neither need nor desire a husband."
═══════════════════════════ ❧  ═══════════════════════════

No comments: